Friday, April 19, 2013

So what do you get when a conversation about bee hive / colony collapse mixes with a little bit too much wine and an adventurous streak?  You end up with these in your garage less than a week later.


It's mid April in Alaska, and most of my yard is still covered in about a foot of snow, but the "bee guy" my boyfriend contacted had to move them quickly.  The BF picked them a few hours ago from a parking lot.  It all seems a little shady to me.  Who DOES that?  We need to keep them below 35 degrees so they don't start getting restless.  Apparently a zillion restless bees aren't a good idea.  I'm pretty sure I've bitten off more than I can chew, and I haven't even met the bees yet.  EXCITING!

I'm downloading free plans to build a Top Bar hive from the interwebz as I type this.  http://www.biobees.com/build-a-beehive-free-plans.php  And I just jammed the printer at work.  Whoops!  Hopefully the building of the Top Bar Hive will go smoother tomorrow.  But for tonight, it's me, a few glasses of wine a LOT of bee study... and the gentle hum of a zillion bees.  In my garage.  What could go wrong?


No comments:

Post a Comment